Friday, October 26, 2007

25 years after College

The year was 1983, just finished the last exam, of the final exams. Now what? Maybe a short vacation, little rest and relaxation after all that "hard" work I put in, to pass the exams. That seemed like a good idea till Mom started pestering to find a job. Do I want to stay in Bhopal?...I don't think so. Back to Mumbai it is on the good ol' Punjab Mail, second class reservation compartment.. all the way till Dadar. Do I have a place to stay? No, can't go back to the hostel, that chapter of my life is over. Shacked up with my cousin for a few weeks.

India won the Cricket World cup, Yes!! the whole country is celebrating. Well, my reserve cash is running out and I am almost about to hit the panic button... there comes opportunity knocking in the form of couple of odd jobs to keep floating and avoid starvation. Still searching for that dream job in a ritzy 5 star hotel. Well, that did not happen. Settled for Captain's job at a 4 Star hotel in South Mumbai.First day of job, nervous as hell, everybody is looking at me funny, seems like the whole world is ganged up against me. I want my Mommy..... Built up enough courage to go back to work the next day, the day after.. weeks.. months, it is not too bad but not the best either. The salary sucks, 12-14 hour work days, unappreciative management, Unionized subordinates and deplorable working conditions. Since I don't really have anything else to do except work ,get drunk after work and sleep, it is OK, life goes on like this for a couple of years.

Fast forward to 1986, frustration is building up due to lack of recognition from Management, crappy salary and everything mentioned above. I make a hasty decision and quit, do a couple of short gigs at Airport hotels in Mumbai. Get back to South Mumbai , this time working for a Premiere Private Club as Restaurant Manager, still long hours, but the remuneration is good, Management is appreciative of my work ethics and treat me with dignity and respect.

September 1988, shock of my life. I am hired as a Flight Attendant for a leading International Airline.... whoa... I had to pinch myself to believe it... repeatedly. Life is awesome for the next 4 years as I travel to different parts of the world. But, I am tired of the monotonous life in 4 years, novelty has worn out.I want to get back to what I know best, I need the challenge and satisfaction of a job well done.

So, Off to North America it is in 1992, the land of milk and honey.The initial enthusiasm died out in a few months when reality set in. Strange land, culture, subtle discrimination, Unfamilar surroundings. It took a few years to get into the groove of things, trying to assimilate into mainstream America, make a career in hospitality and move ahead in life. However, setback after setback lead to disappointment and disillusionment. I still cannot see that proverbial light at the end of the tunnell.Nevertheless, I keep chugging looking for resolutions and alternatives.

The late 90's brought the second wave of "Gold" rush to America,the first one being in late 1800's. This time it is not the precious metal but technology, "dotcom". Not having a clue what it is, but curious to know, I start my academic journey once again, and by the end of the 20th century I am ready for my new career. Employment market is hot, I find an entry level technology position with ease. With the right attitude and aptitude, I am blazing the trail and moving up the ranks reasonable quickly.

Present day, 2006. Here I am 23 years after Catering College, disengaged from Hospitality but remembering with gratitude and reverance, for taking me on this journey of life filling it with excitement,anticipation, rich experience and making me the man that I am today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess you'll be more than surprised, Pilloo!!!...to see me posting a comment on your blog...

Enjoyed reading your blogs.....boy, have you changed!!!

....not the guy I used to know 25 years back! That's for sure...

More on a one - to - one....

Till then, ciao n take care.....

Anonymous said...

I finished my engg on 2007
so after 25 years 2007+25 = 2032

Ya i will be dear by then due to multiple kidney failures or cancer


You survived all that

:D